Welcome to the wonderful world of 4th grade!
Wondering about the current spelling list? Curious about classroom happenings? Need to contact me through email? Here is your chance.... my very own classroom webpage. Sit back, relax, and explore the page at your leisure!
Check out the "class links" on the right side of the screen. I have added great websites.
Your child is required to read 20 minutes each night in his/her independent reading book. Please use the Book It! form to document his/her reading. The Book It! form is due at the end of each month. Feel free to print out another copy if your child misplaces their original copy I hand out at school.
Field Trip Forms
Agenda Content goes here
The Washington Way
We can SHARE.......
Everyone has a Story
We will spend most of the school year developing our writer's notebooks. Think of the writer's notebook as a junk drawer. A place to write down ideas, moments, and personal memories. Take your notebook EVERYWHERE you go..... write, write, write!
Types of items you might "catch" in your notebook....
memories, maps, words, lists, feeling, drawings, plans for writing, questions, dreams, funny things, cards, good writing, current events, artifacts, photographs, magazine clippings, comic, newspaper clippings, "wondrous" words, ect.
How does one become a better writer?
First, read what really interests you, no matter what it is, and when you come to a passage that affects you strongly, reread it and ask yourself why. And second, WRITE EVERY DAY. Keep a journal (notebook) of your experiences. Quote taken by Russell Freedman
Reading is Thinking!
Reading Comprehension Strategies we WILL Study:
1. Make a self to text connection
2. Recognize Story Elements: character, plot (problem and solution), setting
3. Use questioning: I wonder.......
4. Recognize expository (non-fiction) text features such as: photos, captions, map, map key, italic and bold print
5. Understand the difference between explicit and implicit meaning in text
6. Making Inferences- working with cause and effect
7. Visualize to create mental images from text
8. Summarize important ideas